Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Setting the Scene

No real topic for this post, I've just been playing around with the tiles.

I quite enjoy setting up little dioramas using the various charicters and scenery, I don't know how hard it would be to duplicate this kind of theming using procedural generation techneques but I think it would be worth the effort. With a well made quest generator, it could breath a lot of life into a tiny game.

There are a few extra bits and pieces in these images that i haven't blogged yet, some from V0.2 and some that will be in the next release.




2 comments:

  1. Nice dioramas. There's really nothing preventing a programmer from making these kind of scenes using procedural generation - except that it takes time. If you just sprinkle random furniture around it will look no good, so basically almost everything needs a special case in the code. Level generation is one of the more fun programming tasks, though, so I expect at least some programmers will put in the effort.

    Some roguelikes use an alternative technique called "vaults", which are predesigned rooms in an otherwise random dungeon. That's an easier option which still looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw my brother playing Fireboy and Watergirl 22 on hudgames, now I’m stick with this game, too.

    ReplyDelete